RCU Forums - View Single Post - Prop Pitch to Slow Plane for Landing
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dasintex
Ok, here is what I got and what changes I made to help slow the Plane down for landing, the Plane is a Hanger 9 60 Size P-47, the Engine is a RCV 91CD; in my opinion and experience not as strong of an Engine as a OS 90; the Prop is a 13 X 8 APC Sport; the Balance was a little Nose Heavy so I changed the CG to Slightly Tail Heavy, put a Slight Aileron Reflex in; I will try this first, I'm reluctant to change the Prop because this Prop pulls the Plane around with some authority, I have a 13 X 6 Master Airscrew K Series Prop I can try at the field as well.

I have had this Plane for some time, and landing has never been an issue until I changed Props to one that pulled the plane a little better, with the 3 Bladed Prop I used before it would slow right down to a crawl to land, but had absolutely no authority to pull the plane, if I had to power out of a problem, it struggled; however, I had made a change in the Air Valve and placement which I believe changed the CG from the initial CG.

If these changes don't help slow it down I can try the 13 X 6 Prop, my approach is good, and the throttle is as low as it can go without killing the engine, so hopefulluy the changes will work.
A 13x8 apc sport? Really? that's the prop I've used on my YS63. The CRV engine may be trully this anemic, I don't know....let me suggest a couple things to get a lower reliable idle....higher nitro, 20-25% heli blend. A hotter plug such as an OS F. The hotter fuel will produce a better top end too. It sounds to me like your CG may be fine...be careful moving it aft, especially if the model is heavy for its wing area. A 60 size warbird with maybe 650 squares shouldn't weigh more than about 8 1/2 pounds for decent flight envelope, and 6 1/2 pounds is far better. If it's heavier and the CG is moved aft, it's a recipe for a crash on the landing. Come to think of it, if the CG is moved too far foreward, the same crashed landing may result. In both cases the wing stalls.