RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier Giles 202 35% questions (need print too!!)
Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Giles 202 35% question

Hi All..

I'm building a Lanier G-202...I have done some searching on this kit but have a question that I thought I'd pose to the masses...Hopefully someone who has experience with this plane will see this too!!

This is an "old technology" kit and will be heavy buy todays standards (20-23 lbs)...I will try my best to lighten it up a little but the wood is just heavier that what they use today on a comprable size plane...

I have an ExtremeFlight Yak 54 which is relativley comprable in size but weighs about 5lbs less (modern technology?)...The Yak is a "50cc" airplane and has plenty of power to spare at it weight of 16-18lbs...

So my question is what engine should I plan on using?? It "looks like a 50cc size" plane but the weight concerns me and am wondering if I need to be thinking more along the lines of an 80cc engine...The prototype apparently had a Zenoh G-62 on it which they say performed OK but not unlimited vertical or loads of spare power...

The posts I've found about this plane are all from the early/mid 2000's before today's engines were available..They talk about using BME engines and other 75-80cc class engines on it...I think todays engines are both lighter and more powerful than what was available back then...For instance isn't a DLE 55 as powerful as a G-62??

So what do you guys think?? I'm pretty sure I won't get the plane below 21 lbs based on what I've read....Should I go with an 80cc??

Thanks...

Chuck

Last edited by Atlanta 60; 08-22-2013 at 07:08 PM.