RCU Forums - View Single Post - You know it's windy when....
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Carl, you can have a stick any way you want it! There are many derivative designs that share the same easy flying characteristics. The Pulse comes to mind, along with the Easy Sport. There are some small differences there, but the basic aerodynamics are the same. If you go with a stick for windy day flying, stick with the largest recommended engine, keep it a touch nose heavy, and set the control throws up near the maximum (assuming you have exponential in your radio). My "fly in any wind" plane is a .60 size H9 Ultra Stick with a Super Tigre G90 on the nose. It can power through any wind and out of any stall, and it has just enough control throw that I'll go to the corners only occasionally when flying in gusty wind.
Landing technique does change in the wind. You can't flare and let it settle in like you do normally. You have to fly the plane all the way to the ground, touching the wheels down often with enough airspeed that you could just go right back up if you wanted to. I got up once in about 5 mph wind and had a thunderstorm roll in about 2 minutes later. There was enough turbulent wind to blow my hat off and move me around a bit, so I'll guess 18-20 mph with gusts as high as 30 by the time I got a runway approach I liked. That particular landing was an exercise in patience as I shot a couple of approaches and tried to keep it straight over the runway waiting for the air to be cooperative. I finally got a down push that got me to about 6 inches altitude, so I just relaxed the elevator and let the wheels touch. It was actually a nice smooth landing, but wouldn't have been if I had tried to decide when it was going to happen right at the end of the runway on my timing like I usually do. The point being, when you get up in really unfriendly air you have to really watch the plane and read what the wind is doing to it. Gusts are opportunities to bleed off some altitude if you need to, and a second or two of smooth flight is about all the indication you'll get that it's a good time to land.