RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why don't many people build RC airplane kits anymore? Part II
Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not built a kit in a long time. Even longer since I built an ARF. ARFs seem to be cheaper to build than a kit these days. I looked at a couple but I am not going to pull the triger on one. I would rather build from plans. And I think even more than plans I would prefer to just roll my own design. I just end up bashing every build, be it a kit or ARF. Kits are much easier to bash. Maybe that is why I mostly roll my own now. I really enjoy the conception process. Then sitting at the computer and punching out some parameters. The fun is then turning those raw numbers into something that flies and reflects the original concept I had floating around in my brain. Sometimes the match is good, sometimes not. But that is how I got started. My first several planes were my own designs.I bought my first kit several years after I built my first plane. That is how I discovered math could be fun. I hated it till then. Then I needed a slide rule.

I sort of cheated recently and bought 2 sets of laser cut wing ribs. Even this one is getting bashed very seriously.

Ken

Last edited by flyingagin; 09-05-2013 at 04:55 PM.