RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cowl mold Question
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well one half of the mold is curing. Using West Systems epoxy for the mold, and followed CST tutorial for making a cowl mold, graphite for the gel/tooling coat, followed my several layers of glass.

Discovered dont do 8 shots of Epoxy unless you can spread it quickly, Didnt have as much time as I thought and damn does that s**t get hot! Turned solid in the cup, so I wasted at least 3 shots worth of epoxy, and not too happy about that, would have been enough for at least the starter layer for the cowl itself. Whats interesting is the stuff already laid was still fluid, so guess when they say it cures fast when confined in the container, they just aint a kidding! In any case, 8 shots was exactly the amount needed, I mixed a small batch after the hot stuff and was able to finish the first glass layer. I let that one setup a bit and finished off with heavy mat followed by fine cloth for a top layer.

Tomorrow I will know if I did the waxing and release correctly when I remove the parting board. Keeping fingers crossed.