RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unusual Engines and Built for Speed Control Line Airplane
Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Juggler In the "hay day" of controline speed almost everything was flown with Stanzel Mono Line control. The line was twisted with a device that the pilot held, and a cam device in the airplane converted the motion to up and down elevator. Stanzel Mono Line's arn't made anymore, but I think there people making similar units for the very small market that still exists.

Going by rows the first engine is a Dooling, and probably a .29 displacement. It's a collectable engine. Engine #2 has been identified as a Nelson FIRE which stood for "front intake rear exhaust". It's the older "short stroke" and it could be a .40 displacement, but it could also be something else. Can't help with #3 but it looks like a Nelson copy. The engine in and out of the airplane # 4&5 and #6
look to be from the same manufacturer as #3. I'll go out on a limb and guess that they are Edmonds, but that's a real "wag". #7 is a Drone diesel, and another collectable engine. The Pulse jet looks like a Dyna Jet, but they all look similar. The heads on the Dyna jets were anodized red. This one looks too shinny to have ever been run. If you can find them, there have been some You Tube Videos on the internet of pulse jets. They are ear splitting loud! I believe Dyna Jets are also out of production, so jet speed flyers have to make most of their own parts, but there may be "cottage industry" business supplying parts like tail pipes.

You might post this in the Controline section and get additional information. Also the controline speed community is rather small, so with the name of the modeler that these used to belong to, it posible that you could find out their history? Good luck. You got some neat stuff. Greg