RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cutting and Prepping Lightweight Foam Cores
Old 10-04-2013, 01:31 PM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up two cans of 3M Polystyrene spray adhesive (#78) from Menards for 10.99 each. *One can was barely enough to attach the Birch veneer to my wings. *Each wing is 31" long (62 total), 17" wide at the fuselage (minus ailerons) and 14 1/2" at the tip (minus ailerons). *If you plan on making wings bigger than this buy two cans. I wouldn't fiberglass over the Birch, not needed. *My wings look like they were molded from solid fiberglass with cheap Towerkote iron on film. For some reason the Towerkote wrinkled on the fuselage but the fuselage has 2" holes to lighten it. *The Towerkote held up great over the birch on the wings, go figure?

One word of caution, my profile fuselage is two pieces of 4mm marine ply epoxied to 1" thick Extruded Poly Styrene (pink or green foam), even low temperature film will erode (melt) foam with no wood covering.*

Other veneer options would be pine or western red cedar (if your as weight obsessed as say a super model,,,LOL) Woodcraft sells clear pine but it's way more than Birch. *You may be able to find western red cedar via Google. Wow, sounds like your building a monster!! Any bigger and you'll be able to sit in it!!

Ding resistance is outstanding,,,I usually damage my planes more getting them in and out of my walkout basement than flying them. *

This plane sat in the bed of my pickup with no tonneau cover, exposed to sun, washboard dirt roads, dew, *when I was at work, so I'd say I gave this construction technique a thorough durability test.

Jeff

Last edited by jp1961; 10-04-2013 at 02:26 PM.