RCU Forums - View Single Post - This Takes Danger To A New Level
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 12:19 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

whoa!

I survived How did that happen? Lets see it was 1959 and I was fourteen years old. On one of my dads weekly trips into Hollywood to buy film stocks at the Eastman distributor he dropped me off at Reginald Dennys hobby shop over on Hollywood Blvd to make a purchase, something I had saved for quite a while.

That purchase was a shinny new OS, Yes OS type 11 pulse jet. It took a while also to locate a model T coil with the vibrator for the shower of sparks ignition system and it used a 6 volt latern battey to run the coil. Of course a bicycle pump was also required. first test runs were made static and were shut off after around five seconds to avoid overheat. and yes the externally mounted engine requires airspeed for cooling.

I finally got to fly it on a modified Darpa short pan and the rest carved wood. I used a two line system. It was wonderful and pretty fast but nothing like even a modern RC pylon ship these days.

First, they are not ram jets and they are not rockets. I never destroyed anyones hearing including my own (they are loud but not nearly as much as folklore would have you believe. I never burned down anyone or anything! I survived, how did that happen and I was just a fourteen year old kid?

Also note that they of course can be shut down with a simple pinch off device operated by a servo or bellcrank. So sure they should be regulated ya think, OK so by whom? and where are the regulations supposed to stop, Oh I get it right up to the point where it gets to whatever kinds of airplanes that are flown by those screaming for more regulations!

Oh yes I also still have my treasured OS after all these years, The engine that flew great and never hurt anyone or burned down anything.

John