View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topspin
I just saw this on another site.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...247&aff=421628

I love the comment one guy made " be the first one to set your local flying field on fire with one of these". While the idea of a ram pulse jet is intreaguing it is also incredibly dangerous since it can't be trottled or shut down once it is started. Since this type of engine is more like a rocket than a jet they also acellerate to amazing speed. I can see flying something like this in the desert where there is no one to run into and nothing to burn but I can't imagine flying something like this with more than 45 seconds worth of fuel in it.

Someone is going to get hurt.
One small correction. Easy to stop and they quite often stop on their own as the fuel must be fed at a constant pressure. One tiny air bubble and they instantly stop and as I recall, loss of pressure also can instantly stop them. I have seen them flame out a number of times at the old US model aircraft Nationals, in the Jet C/L Speed event.

The CL models used centrifugal force to force the fuel to the motor, but thankfully, that does not work on R/C and you will need a pressure regulated fuel system. I think some R/C models used some sort of bladder tank, but I think there used to be a pressure system available as well.

Last edited by Thomas B; 10-25-2013 at 01:46 PM.