RCU Forums - View Single Post - Half Scale Nieuport 11
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM
R/C Art
My Feedback: (38)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Half Scale Nieuport 11

Building season is upon us. This year's project - FINALLY ! - is a half scale Nieuport 11. The past 3 flying seasons I have been flying a 1/3 scale N-11 of my own design. I have enlarged my 1/3 scale plans to half scale. There are a few changes I have made to accommodate the large size......some of which are thinner air foil, four more laminations to the tail group outline and several more changes that will be made as that part of the build occurs.

Basically the fuse is a 1/8" lite ply box up front with 3/8" bass wood sticks for the back end. The front of the fuse will have 3/8" balsa filler to absorb some of the engine impulses.

The wings are 1/4" x 3/4" bass wood spars on the top and bottom wings.......top wing has an upper and lower front and rear spar arrangement......the bottom wing has an upper and lower spar.

The overall functional design has not been changed very much - just made bigger.

Wings span is 12 feet 4 inches.....fuse is about 9 feet long and just under 4 feet high.

Power is an Avio MacMinarelli 125 cc gas twin......ignition is magneto.

Expected weight range is 55 to 65 pounds. We will just have to wait (hahaha, get it - wait, weight) to see how close I get to the estimate.

I hope the new format for the forum becomes easier for me as the build progresses because it has been troublesome since the change over........especially posting pictures.

I will try to post some start up pictures this week as time permits..........