RCU Forums - View Single Post - .010 Gnat from RC Modeler plans
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

WHAT A MEMORY BACKTRACK! ! ! !

I built on and used an old Albin super regenerative receiver in it along with my old Controlaire Galloping Ghost transmitter. The magnetic actuator was something I put together myself from a small bar magnet and a coil of wire from a low voltage relay.

The engine was borrowed from an adult that used to coordinate us teens at a local community center "class" and took us out to a flying field on weekends.

Under power the model flew quite nicely and was spirited but neatly controllable. But with the short stubby wings and small gap between the wings the glide was somewhat lawn dartish. But thanks to flying over a fairly soft grass playing field nothing bad happened to the engine.

I seem to recall that I got up around a dozen to 20 flights over a few weeks. But then something went funny with the radio gear and the model dove in and busted. After fixing the damage I guess I didn't get something quite right because it rolled upon launching and broke up enough that I didn't bother trying to fix it. Or the launcher may have flicked it into the roll. I'll never know.

Again, don't expect a floaty glide. At best it'll be a controlled dive without any propwash to keep air flowing between the wings.