RCU Forums - View Single Post - FORA / CYCLON .15 powered speed plane
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default FORA / CYCLON .15 powered speed plane

CaffeenMan's recent post got me thinking about the merits of trying a .15 powered speed plane. I've always wanted to do one but didn't want to spend money in that direction compared to spending about the same to fly Nelson .40s.
A .15 powered plane would be a better fit at my field than what the .40 sized planes are now. I haven't flown the last .40 sized plane I built yet since a freeway overpass was put in ..in DIRECT alignment to my field's normal lengthwise flight path.
I'm not sold on the need to fly the piped versions of these engines to get satisfactory results. I think the "combat" engines with open exhaust will do just fine, run a long time without endless repairs and keep the cost down to the initial investment plus about $10 per run when you factor in broken props, blown plugs and fuel. That's rich enough for my blood. Not dealing with the bulk of the pipe system is also a bonus but I admit that the piped engines are way more musical to listen to.
I'm going to start looking for Foras and Cyclons at the NASS message board and at Ebay.