RCU Forums - View Single Post - Whats happened to Monocoat ?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is nothing short of spectacular. The hardest thing to have trim stick down well is with a pointy piece and all those flames,,,,, wow.

Earlier, in this thread, I mentioned how well MonoKote sticks to itself and how Ultracote doesn't even when both the surface and the underside of the trim are cleaned with acetone. I DIDN'T mean that I expected the acetone to dissolve the adhesive so as to stick it to the base.

Illustrated is a downsized Tsunami (.049/1/2A) that I eventually powered with a Norvel .074 because it came out a little heavy. It was covered in Ultracote including the trim.

Despite the acetone treatment and LOTS of heat to stick it down, the Ultracote trim has pulled away at the tips of the trim. If I pull on that piece, the trim just pulls away more. I've treated some lifted pieces with acetone again and stuck it down, but it hasn't been flown since.

Small engines typically use as much as 35% nitro. The MonoKote I know, would withstand easily, soaking a piece in a jar of 35% nitro for days. When cleaned with acetone, it would stick down as if nothing happened.

I would love to order 25 feet of all the primary colours of HK cote and be done with it for the lifetime I might have left.

Could you do me a favour and take some HK cote and stick it into a jar of high nitro fuel and let us know?

Or, PM me and send me a sample in an envelope and I'll do the test.

From all the info I've seen, it certainly appears that MK has changed for the worse. Prior to the last few years, you NEVER heard fans of the product complain. For my part, I NEVER had problems with it and trim ALWAYS stayed stuck down.

I'm sure that if changes were made, Top Flite was forced into it. I used to run an industrial supply store and many times, a good product was made mediocre or even discontinued because of new regualtions. The real danger I see now is that the nanny state is slowly turning into a police state.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0007.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1941420