RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Falcon
Thread: Tamiya Falcon
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 02:54 PM
whee-sconsin basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the fun!

The Falcon is the first rc car I ever saw and I loved it from the start. Cool retro ride , so let's address your questions and get you back on the road!

1. Batteries have come a long way since you drove that last. You can still get batteries that will work with what you have. NiMh has pretty much replaced NiCads and can be charged with your old charger. The differences are that NiMh don't have the memory issues NiCads did, so you can expect them to perform well for longer periods as a result. NiMh batteries also have more capacity so you can run longer. You also have LiPo batteries available nowadays which pack more punch and even more runtime, but you need a charger capable to charge and properly discharge them, and your stock electronics would probably not handle it for too long before burning up.
2. I say only replace what's broken, if anything. Other than that, I recall alot of people having issues with the dogbones and drive cups, so getting some extras of would be a good idea. Seeing as they were plastic, I wouldn't suggest running a monster of a motor in that thing, otherwise you might eat them up right away.
3. The part you're talking about is the msc (mechanical speed control) and yes, they were prone to sticking because dirt would get in the coil where the wiper arm passes over and make it stick. They can be cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease, but the problem returns eventually. If you can, I'd highly recommend getting an esc (electronic speed control). This will eliminate that problem. Also, it will operate more smoothly and be far more efficient. AND, some of them are waterproof now so you can put a bag over the radio receiver (or baloon!) and go get wet! Oh, and they can usually handle a much hotter wind motor for more sph (smiles per hour )

Hope this helps! You should post some pix. Just sayin'!

Originally Posted by Falconer73
Looking to the forum for guidance on my Tamiya Falcon. Background: My parents bought it for me back in the mid-80's and I had a lot of fun with it. Into a box it went and fast forward to today where I have a son and am thinking it might be fun to get the car out and introduce him to the world of RC. Need a little help getting the Falcon back on it's feet. Here a couple of questions that come to mind:

1. Battery. The car came with a 7.2V 1200mAH NiCad battery and charger. What new type of battery should I buy? Will it work with the old charger or do I need a new charger as well?
2. Upgrades/Restore: Are there any new parts/tools I should replace on the car to get it ready to use or just to make minor upgrades? Oil in the shocks, lubrication of parts, etc...
3. The piece in the car that controls direction. Tough to explain but the metal moves to the left or right and makes contact with metal and the car goes. That piece tended to stick back in the day, resulting in a car that went barreling to a curb or ditch. Is that something that can be repaired upgraded?

Appreciate the feedback.