RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Guys 33% Pitts S1 ARF
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are more photos.

The first two photos show the engine mounted to the nose. You can see the down-thrust in this photo. If you go to the fourth photo, you can see the way I used the washers to build the down-thrust into the installation. Now, if I need to reduce or increase the down-thrust after testing the bird, I can simply remove or add washers as needed, or shift them around. On the first photo, you can see where the firewall and engine box meet, and I think I'll epoxy some more hardwood tri-stock there for good measure. In photos 3 and 4, you can see how I used some marine-grade ply to reinforce the firewall, before I added the interior tri-stock. You can see the five layers of the higher-quality ply. This isn't the final installation, so I haven't cut the bolts flush with the nuts yet. You can also see how I used some of my old Saito prop washers from my odds-and-ends drawer to back up the bolt on the inside of the firewall. Top quality washers, they won't bend or give out, and the price was right!

The firewall bracing was done by using 30-minute epoxy, and clamping the reinforcement ply piece the firewall, to properly laminate the two pieces together.

~ Jim ~
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts Build Engine mounted view.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	1947020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts Build Engine mounted view 2.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	1947021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts Build Firewall reinforcement.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1947022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pitts Build simple downthrust.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1947023  

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 12-12-2013 at 06:57 AM.