RCU Forums - View Single Post - Embracing new technologies
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 12:13 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeepers, so many questions. The short answer is that I really don't know the answers. This wasn't my specialty. But I do know a little about the drone that we flew the other day. It was from Horizon. All the tech data is on the website. I believe in autonomous mode the GPS limits the craft's height to 50 meters AGL. And it was very small. Any higher than that and it would be very difficult to see.
The Class B shelf over Jetero bottoms out at 3000MSL, (I think, my sectional is literally an antique). I imagine the controllers must keep the arrivals above that, but I'm not certain.

What would happen if your small drone was ingested ? Again, just guessing here. But I suspect the point of contact would be the FBI. At least on the criminal side of things. Then the airline would pursue you in civil court. I'm not certain what those big GEs cost, but its likely more than the AMA can scrape together. The question remains if this would be prosecuted as an act of terror, but I suspect it would. There are a whole bunch of people working under the DHS umbrella and most of them are itching to prosecute someone, anyone at all. (a la Maytag Repair Man Syndrome). Personally, I wouldn't even joke about something like this.