RCU Forums - View Single Post - 36 inch Profile plane Going Glow
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not an expert on electric power systems for 3D planes. You will need to go to the probro site to find those guys. But since your electric setup came out of a 41" 3DHS Extra, it should work even better in a Mojo 25 size plane, including the servos. If you can run the 11x5 prop without over amping any part of your power system, then that prop should work best. You will need a wattmeter to find that out for sure.

Keep in mind that the Mojo 25 is an old design that came out before electric power was an option. Back then we flew those planes with OS 25FP, Norvel 25, and similar engines. Today it just doesn't make sense to use those engines in a 3D plane, or nearly any other plane for that matter.

If you watched my video of the Sabre 35, it is almost exactly the same size as a Mojo 25. But the Sabre 35 only weighs 24 ounces ready to fly including a 3S 1500 lipo. At 24 ounces it only needs a Super Tigre .10 electric motor to make it a great flying 3D profile. If the Sabre 35 was 12 ounces heavier, a lot of that great 3D performance would disappear.

If you watched my Wild Tiger videos, I would consider that plane to be the smallest plane where glow power is still an option. (The new Primo 25 is basically the same plane but with a "Primo" style fuselage and tail.) As of today, I'd consider an engine such as an OS 40FP or a Thunder Tiger 42GP to be the smallest glow engines worth putting in a 3D profile.......and that's only if you use a Mousse Can Pipe to boost the power to an acceptable level. Any plane smaller or heavier than the Wild Tiger will perform better with electric power.