RCU Forums - View Single Post - Time is being wasted
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 06:29 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have much of a choice. You will have to do either:
A) Install a drain field and piping around the outside of the foundation,
B) Install a trough and piping around the inside of the foundation with an exit to the outside.

I had a similar issue with an older home and it was a combination of water coming in through the foundation but also coming up from the floor as it was built on ledges. Inside I cut a trough around the base of the foundation about 3" wide x 12" deep pitching down to the lowest point based on the outside grade and poured in gravel to make the trench,I covered the trough with expanded metal so any water coming in from above would seep down into the trough and be carried away .In the lowest corner I dug down 16" and ran a pipe through the foundation to carry the water out. You could also drop a sump pump at this point and pump the water out.
In another house with a block foundation I used 3/4 and 1" pipe and drilled into the foundation (hollow blocks) about 5" above the floor and installed pipes every 3' and tied them into a main pipe pitching down as it went along to carry the water away around the inside walls to a sump pump again located in the lowest corner.
Of course the best way is to dig a trench outside next to the foundation , install gravel and then perforated drain pipe(holes down) and cover with dirt to carry the water away. Do this outside work when you can afford it.