RCU Forums - View Single Post - .020 size GLH
Thread: .020 size GLH
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 AM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MJD, I have cut a couple down into the 3.6 range on the 2nd motor just on the test stand. It gets me another 2.5k on the ground. But right now I am focused on Stage 1, which is getting the plane sorted out and finding a good setup with just the stock TD. I ordered 2 new futaba 3114 servos last night as I don't want to take any more chances at this speed and would hate to lose the plane. I have parts coming for Stage 2 for both motors, 2 different routes and at this point I think 70-75 is well within reach.

Aspeed, I tried cutting down a 4.2X4 but the prop is just too big. For one the hub is a monster. The CF ones are much better suited. Plus there is just not enough torque to pull a 4" pitch with a 020 at almost any diameterr. I may order some 3 or 3 1/4" pitch props from the same guy as that may prove do-able. Speed wise right now I feel safe saying it's crossed the 60mph mark, which as CP said earlier has to be considered a "Win" at this size. I feel confident I can get over 70 with the 2.75 pitch, and then see what can be done with slightly more pitch. But none of that is going to happen with a stock motor. At this stage I'm quite happy with what can be done with the airframe that almost anyone could duplicate and have a cool little plane that will shock most onlookers if you bring it to your local club