RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESCs for Small Electric Models
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 04:11 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The 1/4 scale servos are pointed at a more restricted market and as a result the pricing suffers to the point where it is probably cheaper to use a "real" ESC and pick the motor you really want. When I started, mini ESCs were virtually non existent, decent quality mini motors likewise. Standard servos started somewhere above £11, but were an economical parts mine, so that's what I used. An alternative for a more powerful motor was to strip the case of a Hitec gold brick to lose the weight, one of my members did just that for his 1:60 PT boat, and hunted down a supplier of N cells (2/3AA, industrial). These problems are reduced with the availability of smaller ESCs and lithium batteries. Cost then was roughly comparable with todays price for a 1/4 scale servo.
My servo supply for years past has been a UK dealer, Howes of Oxford, who have had a "special" of 4 Acoms servos for £16, £ 4 each. Yet to have a problem. I suspect that the no-namers are ones that do not have a badge. I would also guess that the only suspect bits will be the gears and maybe the pot. If the thing is going to be gutted, neither matters - the gears are discarded to the spares box, the pot, once set, is unlikely to be moved, and its movement that causes the wear.