RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official E-FIRESTORM thread
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look up youtube videos on how to glue tires. Use crazy glue (cyanoacrylate) and apply along the tire. Its good to clean the wheels and tires with alcohol or soap and water. I also use a dremel and wire wheel to roughen the wheel and tires before glueing. It helps them stick a lot better.

I reuse wheels all the time...I am likely still using my original wheels and I've been through over a dozen sets of tires. To recycle wheels or reglue tires you can wrap them in aluminum foil and put in the oven at 120C (or so) for ten minutes and try to remove the tires while everything is hot. You may have to do it a few times to get them off. Closed cell inserts do not like the oven but you are likely using open cell inserts and they are okay with heat.

Squirrelod on youtube had a video on glueing and removal via the oven.

Another way (I think its the best) is to use acetone. I assume its available in hardware stores in Australia. I have a bucket I can close (1 gallon) and put about .5cm or acetone in it and place the tires on their end. Ensure the acetone doesn't go into the tire or wheel or find a way to suspend them over the solvent so they sit in the vapours. Leave in the acetone overnight and the tires usually pull right off. You can then remove the foams and put the tires and wheels in acetone directly to dissolve the glue (usually 1 hour on each side of the wheel is enough). Clean the tires with good soap (simple green is the best for rubber) and you get perfectly clean tires.

Last edited by nitro-rob; 01-04-2014 at 12:15 AM.