RCU Forums - View Single Post - Homemade sealing iron socks
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 08:17 AM
tele1974

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave it a try anyway. I used 100% Premium Legacy thin Flannel. Very soft. Its handling the heat and works good. I am going to thread across the to top to prevent the rolling like John mentioned. That's certainly helpful if you are trying to draw the covering slightly. I also purchased some muslin. The flannel is similar to the Hanger 9 sock and the Muslin is similar to the Topflight sock. I prefer the soft cover thou. You do have to be careful and check the flannel often. One little grain of dirt hung up in the weave will make a mess of the finish especially on black Ultrakote. I found the Monokote doesn't scratch as easy, probably due to its clear cover over the pigment. With black ultrakote the scratches show up very well and they don't come out. I have tried everything. I spent 12 dollars on the material...but labor at 80 bucks an hour... it probably would have been more cost effective to order them. . Yeah.. I work cheap.

I have a question. I just got a second hand 2m pattern plane. I am sure the covering is ultrakote or e'lcheapokote of some sort. It's certainly not monokote. The plane was pretty dirty when I got it. I cleaned it and the covering has a strange texture to it. Is that oxidation? The bottom cleaned up well and has a nice gloss to it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-20 11.13.26.jpg
Views:	4853
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1959909  

Last edited by tele1974; 01-20-2014 at 08:39 AM.