RCU Forums - View Single Post - Issues with windows 8 laptop not installing RF7 .. READ THIS! resolved FYI
Old 01-26-2014, 08:59 AM
zzprop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with windows 8 laptop not installing RF7 .. READ THIS! resolved FYI

My issue was;
I bought a new laptop, windows 8 with an intel quad core processor, 8 gig ram and when I try RF7 install dvd i get
"error upacking program - code Lp5. please report to author"
Don't have a clue what that is. I guess for some reason windows is not wanting to unpack installation files.
I know peps are running RF7 on windows 8

here was the resolve;
I found out new out of the box when I turned it on I had to go through a setup wizard to set up a log on account. When I finished it said I was the administrator.
I don't know why but I was not the core administrator and didn't know it. Even if I tried from the command prompt and right clicked to run the program as the administrator I still got the same error.
I disabled DEP and that didn't work I also uninstalled norton. I found out Win 8 comes with Defender which is a antivirus/antimalware built in to the OS. I tried safe mode with anti malware disabled and it still wouldn't load.

This was the fix for ME. Not saying it will work for everybody that has any issue but I would sure suggest giving it a try.
Before this fix, I was only showing my "User account administrator" but after this fix now on the logon page I now have 2 accounts one the original account that was set up and an "Administrator"
account. After I was able to logon as the "Administrator" the software loaded right up and ran perfect. I logged off "administrator" and logged back on to my original user account and ran from there works perfect. woo hoo.

I have to give all the credit to "dedstik" on RC Groups for the fix. Great and friendly guy and wouldn't give up till it was going.

FIX (from his post on RCG)

"Well ZZ and I finally got together on the phone and did a remote while on the phone. We were able to get it installed after over 2 hours of troubleshooting.

To get it installed:
From a command prompt enabled the built-in Administrator account
WINDOWS KEY+R type
net user administrator /active:yes Press ENTER
Logged out of current user account, and logged into the newly visible admin account.

Once in Admin we were able to get it to install without issue.

I'm thinking ultimately something with his user account was messed up, not sure what. Either in Windows 8 a user account with Administrator privilege isn't the same as the built in Admin account. Or something with his individual account was stopping the install.

Logged out of the built in Admin account and he logged back in as him and RF shortcut was on the Desktop and he clicked and it loaded right up. "

Good Luck, just thought I would try and help anyone who happens by here if they are having issues.
KE software didn't know why but I'm sending this to them also to maybe help resolve others issuses

Where would we be without all the great people out there is RC land that are willing to help.

ZZprop