RCU Forums - View Single Post - How about a cheesy rudder servo for excitement?
Old 09-30-2003, 02:57 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: How about a cheesy rudder servo for excitement?

You should be fine with a high torque servo. I can't remember the exact size and weight of the Big Bingo but unless you are seriously overpowering it you should be fine.

My Choice Cut has a 90in. wing span and weighs 19-20lbs. 6 standard servos with smoke and one 1/4 scale servo on rudder. I use my rudder as much as any other control and many times with more than 45deg. of throw. So it does take a beating. For "normal" flying it would last longer but I'm on my third rudder servo and it is about to go also. The rudder is the only one with a long pushrod (should have gone pull-pull) and the vibration from the Quadra 50 eventually eats the pot.

The first two servos were "cheap" Hobbico 1/4 scale servos ($25). The present one is a Futaba 1/4 scale ($40 and big bucks at the time). The failure starts with twitching around center and then quits altogether. When the first two quit they were not locked up, they just quit working and the airstream centered them. I have to add that this plane is more than ten years old and I have never had one of the standard $12 servos fail (futaba and Hitec) other than accidentally kicking the plane and stripping gears.

I'm not suggesting you skimp on radio gear but remember that planes flew fine, and still do, before there were digital servos. Fly what you can afford.