RCU Forums - View Single Post - The new LA Racer 40, glow and electric sport racing?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebla
club 40 racers should stay nitro powered , we have enough trouble keeping people coming back , Ive had an electric converted la racer running on 4s , was ok but started giving up around 8 laps , of course the battery could be changed to ,instead took the electric out ,in with tt40 and went racing! I think EF1 is enough electric racing , a beginner class would only detract from current interest and we only have so much interest in racing these days , In central Texas we have Ef1 , Q25 and club 40 , Just not enough interest to support more classes , at least not now , looks like if the la racer is going to change that much we may have to limit club 40 to sky raiders only or old style la racers , wouldnt mind some 424 but doesnt seem to be enough interest to get it going , just my take ,could be wrong, I want to do it all , just not enough time and money.
I have received quite a bit of interest in Club 40 Electric. A lot of messages on Facebook from the Club 40 Racing page after I posted the picture of the Turnigy G46 mounted on a new LA Racer 40. People are looking forward to me publishing rules for Club 40 Electric.

Just because I create a rules proposal, doesn't mean that it will go anywhere. A few people have tried Club Wingman, but I don't know of any actual formal races. I know I really enjoy the Wingman II with an EF1 motor in it. As far as your plane giving up after 8 laps, that was probably more a battery and prop thing. If I run a 10x7E on the Wingman, it starts to give up around 7-9 laps. With an 11x5.5E or a 10x6E, I give up some speed, but the battery is still strong after 11 laps.

Less than 5 cells with a motor at 670Kv like the Turnigy G46 and E-flite Power 46 is not going to hold up unless it is a high rated battery. And 4 cells with those motors are not going to give good speed.

I am going to run Club 40 Electric and Club Wingman together at my field this year. I will have the rules for Club 40 Electric ready by the first of March, weather permitting. And even though we had snow this week, I got in two flights with my Groovy 3D on my field today. A lot of gusty wind for a 2 pound plane, but the field has already dried up some. A lot more than I thought it would after all the times it has been flooded this winter.

In terms of class proliferation, there are a number of groups racing Sky Raiders with .46 engines. And other groups using Sky Raiders, LA Racers, and T-34 Mentors with .46 engines. They can't call what they do RCPRO Club 40, but they can race as Club 40 by AMA Document 540-B http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/540-B.pdf. Personally I think that inclusion is a better policy than excluding people with very similar ideas and interests.

I have been promoting Club 40 Open to the RCPRO Club 40 Committee for at least a couple of years. Club 40 Open would allow more planes and engines up to .46 ... However, I have met resistance and have tried to yield to the Committee.

2012 was a debacle for the Thunder Tiger Pro 40. And now you can't even get one from Tower Hobbies for the time being. Right now they say Late March. People can't get pistons and sleeves.

T-34 is doing well on the West Coast. They allow the O.S. 46 AX and Thunder Tiger Pro 46. They can race them as Club 40 on the 540-B course but they do use a longer course as their fields have the room.

A number of groups reference the http://www.Club40Racing.com rules and I believe that is a good thing. Chuck Waller and the Texas group put a lot of effort into the rules and they adapted. The RCPRO Club 40 Committee works on the rules as things come up and they have done a great job. But a number of groups have additional restrictions and clarifications.

The NMPRA made changes to the EF1 rules this year. So making changes to fit the needs is sometimes necessary and creating new classes to meet the needs of more people are necessary.

I hope 2014 is a good year for Club 40. It is good to see as many race dates as are already set showing up. Let's all just have fun.

Last edited by DonStegall; 02-01-2014 at 11:44 AM.