RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where is it made?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 01:39 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What's really sad is how much damage is being done by sending the work over there. Fist off. Copyright protection. There is none. Look at QueQue. He was put out of business because the company that he choose to cut and assemble his planes decided that they would market them as well. Companies such as Hobbico contract with more reputable Asian companies that will honor the copyrights of their properties, but if they really decided that they wanted to steal their designs legally there is nothing that they could do to stop then.

The other sad thing is now that China is starting to get a middle class and they are not the cheapest place to get work done. Some ARF's are now being manufactured in Vietnam such as Seagull because it's cheaper their than in China. Follow the money and that is where you will find out where planes are being made

The sad thing with kits is the cost of balsa and the quality of balsa. It's a very hard commodity to get these days. I was talking with Mark Enderby from Balsa USA and he said our hobby isn't even a pimple on a blip on the butt of a flea in the balsa industry. We use so little balsa wood compared to world demand. Every time I see a windmill farm I scream because there is the huge demand driving up prices of balsa right now. Mark was telling me that one blade of one wind turbine uses a container and a half of balsa wood to build. Ok, before you ask how much that is Mark said that is enough wood to keep Balsa USA running for an entire YEAR!!!! And that is just ONE blade!!!!!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!!!!

Ken