RCU Forums - View Single Post - What to do w/ 72mhz?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 04:26 AM
Neverlost1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TinmanJones
Hello. I've got four 72mhz radios that I'm not sure what to do with. 3 hitechs and one Polks Hobbies computer radio. Now that 2.4 is here, I'm unsure what to do with these radios. One of them is brand new in the box w/ servos, charger and battery. What did you do with all your old radios?
I know what you mean. I have five or six 72MHZ radios I haven't used in years. I just can't seem to part with them because of all the money invested over the years. I would still be using them, but, I transitioned to 2.4 because most of my airplanes now have gas engines. The ignitions throw out a lot of RF "noise" that 2.4GHZ seems to be more immune to.

I almost lost my first gasser using a 72MHZ radio. I had two problems on my maiden flight. The throttle servo failed at the full position so I couldn't land until I ran out of gas. The bigger problem was every time the airplane was at one end of the field, it would go "wild" from radio glitching, but I managed to save it each time, just before it hit the ground. I did a radio ground range test prior to flying, but not with the engine running (big mistake). Range testing after that flight, I could only get about 10 paces from the airplane before the servos went wild when the engine was at full throttle. I then changed over to 2.4GHZ and have never had any more "glitching" problems (but I still range test at full throttle, just in case).