Thread: Royal Kits
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by frets24
Hi Chad!!

Blown up to 68-72'', is the KI-61Jr going to have enough formers/structure to be sound (in the wings especially) ? Also, what flies well in one size doesn't always do well as significantly larger size without some modification of other things as well.

What did you use for plans on your scratch built Tony? As I recall it's in the 6' range isn't it? Done a canopy yet.......or paint?
I have not really looked the plans over frets but, at a glance, I think it would scale up to ~70" span without too much difficulty. The big drawback, for me anyway, is that the airplane is far from accurate in outline. Really more of a sport model dressed up to resemble a Ki-61. I drew my own plans for my 71" span scratch built Tony. I actually passed it along to a friend to finish and he has not managed to get it done yet either! My drawings are still a long ways from being finished in the sense that I could market them but they are complete enough to build an airplane from. You're welcome to a copy if you would like. I don't have a canopy but it is a relatively simple plug to carve. You carve the plug and I would be happy to vac form the canopy for you. I do still have the plug for the vac formed lower cowl as well. The airplane flies really well and it is a shame that it languishes incomplete in my friend's garage.