RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electric B-17?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am no expert on the B-17, but looking at some books I have it appears to me that the nose glass on the left is the very early version from what I can tell it was on the B-17D and the B-17E. The nose glass on the right with no frames looks like it was on the B-17G. None of the nose pieces in the kit resemble the B-17F. I didn't want to get into the scale lines of this thing to much, it's not big enough or scale enough, I'm afraid that if I look to closely things will start to pop out and I won't finish it! I like the looks of the B-17F, and it would not be a problem for me to make a proper shape clear nose glass. I'll see if I can get a good picture of the superchargers and I'll vacuum form a set out of .015 styrene.

One of my cowls has been cut for a slimer, so I was going to vacuum form over one with .040 styrene and use that as a mold to lay up my own cowls, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Notice the shape of the F nose, very nice. This is the early fort that had all the frames on the nose glass.

Thanks for the compliments on my Corsair, it was scratch built from Royal plans and took a year to finish. I've been building scale models for some time now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyzDDl72h0

Originally Posted by mattnew
Interesting...

more questions :-)

For the B-17F, which canopy set do you have? There is an early/late version...
Example nose: Later version on left, Early version on Right

I'm interested in getting my hands on another "early" version set of canopies, and a set of fiberglass cowls. Fiberglass specialties sells the cowls, but its $60 for 4 tiny cowls.... seems overkill.

As for the superchargers. No reference to them in the instructions, no reference to them on the plans that I can see... my 2 detail kits cockpit/canopies don't have them included and I can find no reference to them online...leading me to believe they may be a detail left off this kit as it was an early royal design... It would be a great detail to add ... I'd love to have them.. but I have no source to pass on to you for them.....hmmmm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pto_cu_28.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	1973440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boeing_B-17D_in_flight.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	1973441