RCU Forums - View Single Post - JR 11X STICK POSITION SWITCH
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jay,

If you don’t have any prior experience with the JR 9303, 9503. or 12X and your main interest is powered planes, I wouldn’t recommend that you upgrade to the version two software yet. While the 11X programming is easier than the other JR transmitters I listed, it still differs enough from earlier JR transmitters and other brands that it can cause confusion. As version one software has fewer menu pages and esoteric options than version two, it is best to cut your teeth on version one first.

The other reason I wouldn’t recommend jumping to version two right off is that it offers little over version one in the ACRO mode. You do get more flight modes, but I’ve never had a need for more than the three ACRO flight modes that version one has. Version two gives you the ability to construct a combination of linear and expo rates similar to those on the 12X. It is not an easy task to do so and I’ve never had the need for it.

Version two has an advantage with the improved TRIM IN function. TRIM IN is a way to change mix ratios for several of the premixes while in flight. Both versions have it but the version one manual doesn’t mention it. The trim switches perform double duty. When the trim switches are used as TRIM IN switches, the trims are held in memory and only the rates are changed. In version one you must on the ground set the trim switches as either normal trims or TRIM IN switches. In version two you can choose between the functions while in the air.

It is in the GLID programing mode that I find version two is more advantageous. The timer can be actuated by flight modes. While this can also be done in ACRO, it isn’t as beneficial as on a glider where the throttle stick is not used for motor control. Flight modes can also be changed by the stick position switches. Again I’m not sure why one would want to do this in ACRO, but in GLID it lightens the work load when coming off a launch.

I can’t comment on the advantages of version two for HELI as I only dabble with helicopters.

The 11X’s software numbering is different from that used for the XG series. The first four-digit group signifies the upgrade version and the last four digits the update version. So 0001-0104 is the fourth update to version one software. Horizon Hobby had versions 0001-0104 and 0002-0100 on their web site. Version 0002-0102 on JR Americas is a link to the JR PROPO (Japan) web site. I’ve never been able to download it from there. I get a "web page not found" message. I wrote JR Americas asking for an update to version two. They emailed me version 0002-0103. There is a thread on RCG Radios forum, JR11X2.4 0002-0100 Update, where issues are discussed.

I used to go to Omaha to compete in their pattern contest. Never was a good pilot and the passing of years hasn’t help. Now I fly pattern mostly for my own amusement. I try to make it to their contest as a spectator.

Allan