RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saturday March 1st - Tank Battle day at the Museum in Urbana, Ohio
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM
twoplanekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a brief post action report on the tank battle that took place in Urbana on Saturday. Of the seven Taigen tanks that I took to the event to let people use, several sustained damage and while others preformed remarkably well. All were new out of the box and most were in action for a total of about three hours.

I really like the two metal Tiger 1 tanks. One is the early production and the other mid or late. As happened in the real war, both sustained drive gear problems that eventually made them immobile. The original gear metal is too soft for these heavy tanks. If I sell more in the future, I will upgrade them all to steel gears of some kind.

I love the winter paint scheme on the Panzer IV. It has the metal tracks and should have a metal track drive gear sprocket . The plastic one on this tank failed towards the end of the day.

The panther G tanks performed well other than the gun flash stopped working on one and the recoil on the other. I haven’t had time to find the cause of these two failures.

The two armor units that held together for the whole battle were the metal StuG III and the Jagdpanther. With the StuG, it helps to be light and have metal drive wheels and tracks. TheJagdpanter is also light and is built to new designs. I sold the one demo Jagdpanther and another NIB box to people who were impressed by its performance.

I hope this evaluation helps other to make choices and to upgrade components that are prone to fail in battle. Most of you have many more hours of battling than I experienced last Saturday. So, please take my observations as one who has only a little experience in the word of tanks.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 03-03-2014 at 07:11 PM.