RCU Forums - View Single Post - Everything you need to know about LiPo batteries...
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSP972
No, not those miserable Tamiya jobs. I remember them from the time I built a BlackFoot; mechanical speed control and all. In fact, the memory of that experience (fun build, but the resulting model's performance was... Lackluster) was what convinced me to go RTR this time.

These are "adaptive" adapters, designed to be compatible with Dean's, EC3, and Traxxas. The battery has a Traxxas connector; one of these adapters goes between it and your charge connector if different. My airplane battery connectors are divided between EC3 and Sermos, so I'll be able to use charge leads I already have made up.

My original plan was to make everything the same, i.e. the Sermos/Anderson Power Pole connectors. But I started with a couple of Horizon airplanes, hence the EC3 connectors. Those are a PITA to separate, but ever since that kid showed me the trick with the snap ring pliers... Not so much of a pain anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the concern, but I'm on track.

First those "adaptive" connectors that Venom batteries come with are a pain. I bought a Venom for my nephew and put on the Traxxas connector that it comes with and it wouldn't work right with real Traxxas connectors. It was so tight trying to plug into the esc that it couldn't be plugged in all the way. I ended up just cutting it off and putting a real Traxxas connector on it as there was no way to fix the Venom one to work correctly.

Second thing about Venom Lipos is they aren't very good. They are more expensive than Turnigy and are not as good. Every Venom Lipo I've seen eventually puffed. My nephews Venom 4s 5000mah pack puffed within 3 months after bein run in a 1/8 buggy geared for 40mph. That's a setup that shouldn't have pushed the pack hard at all and temps were fine it's just junk. We had a couple other Venom 3s with similar results and I've seen so many puffed Venoms at my LHS I'll never touch one again.

Just my .02 cents.

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 03-05-2014 at 05:48 AM.