RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM FW D-9
Thread: ESM FW D-9
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 11:23 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Besides a lot of things scaled down exactly (I know detail does not) doesn't fly well. anyone agree or disagree?

This would depend on the aircraft. As far as the FW 190 D series goes, you could have one exact scale, and there would be no problem with how it flies. Wide gear, long fuselage moments, good wing/tail area. The trick is always to keep the weight down.

As far as ARF's go, if you wanted one exactly scale, the price would skyrocket. So there has to be a compromise. While not an ARF, look at SisT. That is such an expensive plane, many would be too nervous to fly it.

I am of the opinion that almost any design can be made to fly well. It has more to do with wing loading than anything. Try scaling these warbirds down to 1/12th scale, and try to get that to not only fly, but out perform what everyone else has built. That was the challenge of the 1/12th scale combat event. You know which airplane came out on top?.............The TA 152 H. It came down to the long wings, large wing area, and long fuselage moments.

So in the large sizes, if you keep your details light, you can have a god flying plane. The biggest trick is learning how the details are supposed to look, and then fabricating them .

Again, are we in the Scale forum? I understand you guys want god looking airplanes though.