RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:37 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been putting a little more thought into this. The ability to see, and observe, is a basic human right. If a doc writes a prescription for eyeglasses, then you have the right to have the prescription filled, to aid in vision. A drone, when equipped for FPV, aids in vision. It allows the operator to "see and observe" his or her environment. As long as the privacy of individuals is protected (no flying over people's back yards, or around someone's home with the purpose of snooping, harassment, or taking photos/videos, etc, for example) then perhaps, owning an enjoying a drone should be a fundamental right. An amendment to the Constitution, adding drones to parts that guarantee the right to pursue liberty and happiness, including having an aid of vision available to view landmarks, could be added, perhaps.

Then, mandate FPV as a required safety feature, along with a transmitter/receiver that allows full control of the drone even if it goes beyond line of site, along with a "return to home" fail safe. I would be all for it. Green and red navigation lights and little white blinkers are fine with me. People can purchase a nicely manufactured and safety tested drone at retail, and enjoy it freely, without having to resort to an improvised device made from a multitude of parts. We can all be FREE from having to spend BIG money for a pilot and Cessna just to take pictures of a friend's horse stable.

From all the videos I've watched of multi-rotors, along with videos of demos when flown indoors, I have reached the conclusion that drones with FPV are actually SAFER than a standard model plane, when set up properly. They are just more controllable, and predictable, with far better safety options. I say, run roughshod over the FAA and AMA with a Constitutional amendment. Neither of them will do a dang thing to allow technology to take its course, and improve our lives.