RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rich & Lean questions
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in mind also that if an engine begins to overheat, it will go lean as well. So if it is properly tuned, but in a bad cowl situation, you will start to lean out as the flight goes on. Adding nitro, adds heat as well, so that could have been a factor. If you do not have a cowl, then it sounds like the increase in nitro caused you to go lean. Is the increase in nitro the only change? By that I mean is it exactly the same fuel otherwise? Same oil percentage, same kind of oil, all synthetic, some castor etc. This matters a lot. Keep in mind that the fuel flowing through your glow engine is as much of the coolant as anything. If you increase nitro, and there is a reduction in oil, then the temps could have increased. Then you could go lean from the heat.
I think the simple answer though, is to just make sure you get the needle set right, and the pinch is the best way to do that. You should note a slight increase in RPM, If it sags, and then comes back, you are lean and you need to open a couple of clicks, then try again.

Interesting, I have a brand new one of these .65 AX engines that I have not run yet. I will be flying it for the first time within a week hopefully. It is mounted on a new Bridi, Sun Fli 5 model. I am going to try 11-7, 11-8, and 12-6 props. I can report back which I like the best. I have also added a Macs one piece black muffler, as I hate those fragile 2 piece things that come with them stock. Not sure how that effects power, but I am going to guess I may lose a little.