Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKEpps
Any update on this project?

Thanks!
JK:

Joe and I are making slow progress. I will provide some performance info below but it is still not quite what we were hoping for and we are in the process of looking at a few changes. As has been mentioned here before, this is a "part time" effort and dependent on available time. Work has been slow as the "day jobs" are getting in the way but we are making progress. We are moving very slowly over the past few months but we will get there.

Arson 15 blade impeller on 12S
Power: 8005 watts initially/7500 stabilized
Amps: 170 initially/156 stabilized
RPM: 13,500 max
Thrust: 19 lbs. 2 oz. initially/ 18 lbs. 12 oz. stabilized
Efflux: 233 mph (no intake ring or exhaust tube)

Arson 9 blade impeller on 12S
Power:6500 watts stabilized
Amps: 159 stabilized
RPM: 14,500 max
Thrust: 16 lbs. 14 oz. stabilized
Efflux: 204 mph (no intake ring or exhaust tube

The current is a little higher than we had hoped for so we are looking a little different blade design to reduce the current draw. We have designed this rotor/impeller to be reconfigurable so that you can configure the impeller as either a 9 blade, 11 blade or 15 blade impeller. I have run the impeller in the 15 and 9 blade configuration and the spacers work very well. Simply remove some blades, insert the spacers, bolt the unit back together and you have an impeller with a different blade count.

One of the other things I have been doing is to try to design a couple of universal brackets that will allow a person to use different types of motors to be used with this impeller or with a stock Byron impeller. I have designed a couple of brackets to allow different types and size motors to bolt to the stock Byron shroud and hope to have one of the prototypes on hand shortly.

So, here is where we are. The prototype unit is running on the bench with a 500KV out runner and it runs well but we are exceeding the rated current and power for the motor. We have another motor that is rated for higher power, current and volts and we will run it as soon as I get an adapter fabricated for the unit. I have made contact with another motor manufacturer and they will custom wind an inrunner for us is we want them to. We may try one of their motors. What we are trying to do is to offer the modeling community a selection of different fan configurations and an appropriate motor for each of the impeller configurations and it just takes time to find, buy and test these different motor combinations.

If we choose to go to production with this blade design then we need to fund the molding costs and this is rather expensive. If we decide to try a different blade design then we need to have the new blade machined and tested.

I know that our progress seems about as slow as a glacier moving but we are just some modelers/hobbyist that are doing this as time and money allow. Neither Joe or I have any illusions about this being a money making endeavor. I think we would be happy if we just got our investment back out of the pieces we sell.

Thanks again to all of those that have been following this thread and we hope you continue to follow us.
Ed