RCU Forums - View Single Post - This could lead to a ban on drones by non licensed users
Old 03-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Herbs_007
http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1226865255571

Once again a goose sees fit to risk the lives of people for a bit of fun. Small problem CASA Aus's governing body are looking at banning drones/fpv's for the average Joe unless you have a special type of licence(work related only), this will only help make up their minds!! This has come about with drones been used in the wrong airspace, above height restrictions, spying on people, and spying on court cases(hovering outside a window and listening to the court proceedings).
I think the problem here is education.

Anyone can walk into a store and buy a quad that requires no flying skill to put into the air.

Educating people on the regulations should start at the point of sale as these new people may have no previous exposure to RC and no idea of the regulations. I see it all the time on the Quad forums when people post high altitude flight videos in close proximity to airports.

Australian Regulations here.

http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_asset...101/101c03.pdf

The FAA regulations have been posted on this site many times also.

I am going to speak to the Hobbystore owners I know and tell them to advise people of the regulations when they sell anything capable of flying above 400 feet.

As a modelling community it will help if we take a proactive approach to the education of others.

Email your online suppliers and tell them to post the regulations on their website, speak to your local hobby shop to do the same.

It is actually in their own best interest (and everybody else's) to prevent incidents like this.

We should all do our part to help educate others without being condescending or overly critical of an honest mistake.

Last edited by Rob2160; 03-26-2014 at 11:33 PM.