RCU Forums - View Single Post - This could lead to a ban on drones by non licensed users
Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRookie
Kind of like the thread right after this one about the quad copters record altitude flight.

Greg
Hi Greg ,

Good Observation ! I have posted in that thread about the FAA's position with regards to the height allowed for model planes and have folks who think that I either made that up myself or am reading it wrong . Bottom line = I am NOT the FAA and their AC 91-57 is most clear , NO model planes over 400 feet . Now , untill that gets (hopefully) changed when the dust settles from all this "UAS" stuff , I can't see where anyone in their right mind would go admitting , much less advertising , that their model plane or quad was up that high . When full scale has to take evasive action for a model is when there is NO more proof needed that the model is in the wrong place . It never ceases to amaze me that there are folks stupid enough to think their toy has some "right" to be wherever it's battery pack has juice to take it , regardless of the safety of those who DO have the right to be there !

And one other thought , that while not exactly "politically correct" , IS the truth no matter who does or don't like it ;

The availability of cheap RC toys that can hit those heights is now SO great that there are bound to be a few morons who get their hands on em and end up causing some mayhem . In the past , only folks with either lots of money to buy or lots of brains to build were the owners of such toys , and the money or brains crew were both smart enough to stay out of trouble with them by NOT flying around full scale . Today's quickie mart instant aviator idiot WANTS to post videos on the net "Hey look , you can see right into the window of that jet I'm chasin" and it's no wonder we keep hearing stories of full scale having to take evasive action for toys . It truly IS only a matter of time till one of these encounters gets ugly .....