RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unexplained crash
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
turboromy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexplained crash

I have crashed many but my last crash is the most difficult to reason why.

MODEL: 3DHS Vyper 65"
RADIO: DX8 and AR6210X w/ JR 6.0 2500mah battery
SERVOS: 2 futaba 9650 + S9551 + Spektrum A6010

With above setup, I had flown with not a single trouble except it feels not powerful enough. So, a new 6s lipo is put on with very satisfactory results.
Before, I flew with 5s about 85 times. With this 6s, I have flown about 5 times, and this Vyper crashed on its 3rd flight of the day.
I typically flew 6-7 times (w/ no receiver batt recharging, and each flight was about 6minutes) with 5s with no problem.

On this 3rd flight that ended up in crash, I vertical dove and rounded out to a level flight at about 30ft. Almost immediately I heard a banging noise and thought I hit a bird. Then it slowly rolled to left and lost altitude then hit the ground. Crash site inspection revealed it was the canopy popping out first. It was found about 100ft before the main crash site. Also, leading edge of both side wing show no signs of hitting anything. Carbon rod is undamaged either. Also, neither canopy nor latch was damaged. Only damage was clear plastic (glass) portion from the canopy near the latch hole. Was it from dropping or did it cause the pop out ? I don't know.

It was a bit too short from canopy popping to crash to tell exactly what happened, but it did feel like signal loss. And I really wonder why it would happened at that exact moment. Vertical dive was a bit faster... but nothing seriously fast. (was doing pattern practice)

And, this is my reasoning.
With this new 6s, it flew about 10-15% faster, causing higher battery amp draw. It was simply bad luck signal loss occurred at low altitude giving no chance to recover. Canopy popping was somehow relates to higher G maneuver which also drew more juice.
Does this make sense ?