RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox TD .010 Ply Rolled Fuselage 3Ch Speeder
Old 04-14-2014, 09:15 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've not had any issues with gluing 1/64 ply myself. It has worked well with CA's and other glues. Mind you my supply is really old so it's been through multiple humidity cycles. That may be part of the reason.

I'd suggest you ditch the CL tank. The pickup is at the other end of the wedge so as soon as you go inverted it will cut the fuel flow and give you air instead.

For a model this small I'd suggest you use a pair of party balloons that are doubled by putting one inside the other. Then fill the balloon with enough fuel to just make it full without stretching the rubber. The idea is to use it as a slack bladder tank. The upside is that you don't need a vent line of any sort and it isn't at all position sensitive. And best of all on a model this small you are not trying to work with a really tiny little fuel bottle and so short a length of clunk rubber tube that the clunk has to take up most of the room to be heavy enough to make the tube flex enough. You don't need a very big balloon either. The Tee Dee .010 won't have enough draw power to work with any amount bigger than around 1/2 to 5/8 of an ounce worth of fuel in any event. And even then you want the balloon bladder tank to reside in the spot immediately behind the firewall.

To protect the model and the tank you'll want to coat the inside of that area and smooth it with some sanding so there's no burrs or dust catchers that would rub through the balloons.

If you've got a paved runway then wheels is a great idea. But if you fly off grass at all then you'll find that the wheels are more trouble than they are worth. On models this small landing gear in the grass just acts like a carrier deck arrestor cable and the model touches the grass and flips over RIGHT NOW every time.

The taco shell fuselage is a great idea. I'm often surprised that we don't see this method more often. All the best with the rest of the build and good luck with the first flights.