RCU Forums - View Single Post - Doping
Thread: Doping
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 03:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have one of those small HVLP detail guns, but the top leaks like a sieve and I wind up wearing more paint than I sprayed. I have a full blown Automotive HVLP gun, by Deviblis, but its way too big for this. I may look into one of the smaller ones since the one I got is too messy. I primed my Corsair with it and had more on me than the plane, even with screwing the top on really tight.

BTW, the Duplicolor Primer, hardens if you try to clean the container with Naptha or enamel reducer. I was like, you have got to be kidding me! Thankfully I had some lacquer thinner to clean up with.

I did paint my Chipmunk with Rustoleum using the detail gun, and most of everything else within 10 feet of me. It did a somewhat nice job, but my tape failed in a few places so now I have to sand and touchup a few spots. It looks nice, but I think its on too thick, which is why I want to try dope this time around.
Duplicolor primer is lacquer, and requires lacquer thinner for clean up. Naptha is an extender, and doesn't really thin anything. It makes good lighter fluid, if you have a Zippo. LOL

I spray with a full size HVLP gun. Using 20 pounds pressure, I have very little over spray. The floor below, is barely tinted with the colors, and sweeps away easily. I thin my paint 40/60, or 1:1.

If this helps you, I thin Rustoleum at 40/60, acetone to paint, and spray at that 20 pounds pressure.

My last paint job, using a gun, was a couple weeks ago. I used automotive enamel, thinned 1:1. There was very little over spray. A week later, I painted a friend's bipe with aerosol cans. The whole shop was dusted in orange, and like you said, everything within ten feet was covered.

For your dope, follow the suggestions posted above. I suggest that you pop for another HVLP gun, if you are having troubles with your current gun.

The HVLP creates far less over spray,. making it worth the investment for that reason alone.

Last edited by TomCrump; 04-17-2014 at 03:27 AM.