RCU Forums - View Single Post - Who are you?
Thread: Who are you?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 AM
zen40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm Darryl, 49 chef and pastry chef by trade. Started with small control line diesels back in the mid 70s played with boats a bit back then but always likes planes. Love fishing more so salmon and trout, play average golf and have A wonderful wife of 18 years and to great sons 11 and 13.
I was in a boating family and was around the New Zealand power boating scene from the late 60s till now. My father built his own 16' pelan Aquarius and raced it for the New Brighton power boat club, the boat now 42 years old powered with an all alloy 350 chev is still in show winning condition. He also helped P G Knight build the CRC Latimer Lodge Lauterbach Special hence the main reason I'm building a 1:5 replica. I got into planes again about 12 years ago and have flown competitive pattern and mostly sports and fun fly.
my interest in boats was rekindled last year when I bought an old 16'7" skiff in poor condition and restored it last winter. I took her (willow) to the 15th annual classic boat show in February this year and ended up winning the Jens Hansen trophy ( he made the rings for The Lord of the rings movies) for best boat at the show, blew me away but the judges loved the blokeish escapism it represents. I saw a few models at the show and decided as a winter project this year I would build some form of model boat. Looking around I found the Blazer 52" lauterbach. I still think IMO that they are the best looking motor vehicle bet it car, boat plane or motorcycle ever made, just a pure lovely shape with the drop sponsons, wing shape hull, cowls, deck and bow curves and the transom, geeze that all sounds a bit dodgy.
Nice to be reading all the info on here and looking at the projects you all undertake. I like RCU for help and info and enjoy posting for others that may enjoy a read or find good info in my posts. Cheers attached a couple of pics of my boat humble but fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	1989448   Click image for larger version

Views:	200
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1989449   Click image for larger version

Views:	216
Size:	1.92 MB