RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engine input for contest
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Any ABC constructed, twin ball bearing, ".45 class" engine with Schneurle porting will give you ample power for pretty thrilling performance with a 9 x 8 prop on a clean, light ship.
I don't think there are any "dogs" out there.
I'd go for the .46 OS or the .46 Thunder Tiger engines. The only issue I used to have with Thunder Tiger was the 2 piece muffler coming apart, but that was several years ago.
If you can visit a local RC pylon racing event and have a talk with some guys [during lunch, not while they are hectically preparing to race] you will come away with some good advice and a first hand look at it.
I know some pylon racers and we have been doing speed planes for over 6 years now. We have built planes that go over 200mph. Up until this year we have always done electric. We are looking for info on reasonably priced glow engines. We don't want to make the teams by Jett engines or something like that. the teams this year designed planes that met the task we laid out and beat a Q500 plane with the same engine. We don't have a Q40 airframe to compare their planes against.

Dan