RCU Forums - View Single Post - Water walking speed requirements
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 04:48 AM
Northern Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
I didn't even consider the diffs, good call. In my opinion grease doesn't semi-lock a diff. It may provide enough tension to wheely off the line but if it can't carry it at all it's unloading. If the diff unloads on water you're going to lose momentum. If you're serious about running on water I'd lock the center diff somehow, silly putty, 500k fluid or whatever. Semi locked would be using 50k fluid as it will still unload, but it won't unload as soon as the front tires are in the air.
I've been messing around with different grease in the center diff and you are right about unloading. Even filled and pressurized (filled right to the top when closing up), it will unload. If I roll or back the diff a few turns, it will lock up for long enough to wheelie a few feet depending on traction.
I have a few spare diffs (5 or 6) so I'll probably try a few different setups. I'm not a fan of rotating mass so that will play a factor in the locked diff setup. I know its not much mass, but spinning weight is bad weight.
Ideally a locked center, semi-locked front and a slightly heavier rear diff would be what I would run.

If/when I do try a run on water, it won't be deep. I won't run it unless I can prove the theory that it will work.
The lack of extra available throttle like I had on my rustler will probably be my hold back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1992963