RCU Forums - View Single Post - Glow igniter with meter
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No intent to be critical of you and actually what you Just described with two pocket ignitors is what I still also do for much of my flying but it is the metered pocket variety that I am critical of. They often will simply not survive just one fall off a starting table before the meter is of no use.

The drivers that we have talked about earlier which indeed are expensive but do have their place for instance in lots of competive events the engine starts must happen with a limited time and there is not enough for trouble shooting of any kind a failed start can result in zeroing out for that round. The electronics in both types linked earlier have the ability to in a micro second sense a fouled plug and ramp up the total current provided to the plug to burn out the flooded plug and almost instantaneously but also back right off just as fast therefore not burning the plug.

Another feature that is becoming most popular with those who are using the big fourstrokes and some which are noted for backfire and difficult starting safety. This is the delay start and that is an electronically slow ramp up of normal starting current which prevent all manner of dangerous starts throwing props and backward running.

They have their place but hey ain,t nothing wrong with the unmetered pocket ignitors either and my favorite is the Hotshot 2 which is a non replaceable cell. Those last extremely well especially when used on an almost daily basis. I am not a fan of the replaceable types with the screw cap as those seem to over some reliability problems.

Out of curiosity when you first posted I checked one well know brand with the replaceable screw cap and is the metered version, they now sells new caps with meter for ten bucks. No I think I will pass on those as just more money down the drain. Ya I know just my opinion

John