RCU Forums - View Single Post - covering/primer
Thread: covering/primer
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dasintex
VincentJ;

Thanks for the reply, you say it's not the lightest, I would assume that Monokote/Ultrakote is the lightest, I'm also assuming that if you didn't Primer Solatex, it would be lighter than Glassing? I'm interested in painting a Warbird to avoid using shiny Plastic Films, without going through all the work of Glassing; Solartex seems like a great alternative.

Another quick question, does Solartex wrinkle like Monokote/Ultrakote when the plane is left in the sun?

As far as strength; it seems that if ARFs are sold and already covered with Monokote/Ultrakote and perform well without falling apart, than Solartex would be sufficient and provides a method to be able to paint your bird the scheme you want without the work of glassing?
A friend does as you propose. He fills the weave with nitrate dope, to create a smooth surface. He then uses a laquer auto primer, and auto paint. He does this only on fully sheeted models. The finish is outstanding, but like Vincent states, there is a heavy penalty in weight gain.

Glassing isn't that difficult. Vincent has a nice tutorial in his current thread. Maybe he will provide a link to it.

Years ago, I taught myself how to glass, using Minwax Polycrilic. These days, I prefer epoxy finishing resin.

There should be vids on You Tube, ilustrating both methods.

Last edited by TomCrump; 05-14-2014 at 04:45 AM.