RCU Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Soaring League ALES contest in Marlton NJ May 24/25 2014
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Middle of the night, but I can't sleep so I checked the weather again.

I tend to use USAirnet which is the airport site:
Philadelphia Airport seems to be pretty close
Chance of rain = 10% or less for Saturday during the contest hours.
McGuire Airforce Based is to the other side and has a similar report
http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/laun...=KPHL&state=PA

Then I went to Weather.com for Marlton NJ and hit the hour by hour. During the contest hours it shows 20% chance during the contest hours.
In my book that is low probability.
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourb...tbeginIndex=24

Weather underground says
Saturday - Partly cloudy early with thunderstorms becoming likely during the afternoon. High 71F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph

Based on the other 2 reports I read that as late afternoon, maybe 5pm. Contest should finish by 3:30 and we will likely be out of there by 4:30

Sunday - Sunshine and clouds mixed. High 78F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.

But there is always a chance. Many of us bring an Easy-up type canopy, a pop up 10X10, mostly for shade. You can get them from 6X6 to 10X20 but most use the 10X10. Home Depot, Lowes, many sporting goods stores carry them and many are under $100.

If we do get a passing shower we just jump under the canopies. Lots of laughs and chatter. Like sitting on the porch as the rain comes. If you don't have a pop-up and you are concerned, bring a tarp that you can use to cover your plane during a passing shower assuming you could not put it into your car quickly. Bring something to keep the plane off the ground. A box or a chair works. Bring a few spikes or weight to hold down the corners of the tarp.

Normally we see it coming and have time to act.

So, the report for Saturday and Sunday during the contest hours look good to me.
I have gone to contests where we had rain at 8 am. We sat in the cars or set up our tents and waited. Worst I can recall was a massive downpour in Birdsboro PA. From 5 amp to about 10 am it poured. We had 22 cars at the field, sitting in the pouring rain. At 9 am we had a gap - out came the tents, edge to edge and we had tent city. Then the rain came again till about 10 am. Then the skies cleared and we launched by 10:45 and flew till 4pm. It was a great day!

But this weekend shows no sign of this. I think we are going to have a wonderful weekend.