RCU Forums - View Single Post - Baffled top piston diesels.
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Bill, earlier in this thread the O.S. .15 diesel was listed a having a piston baffle and adjustable compresion. I had one late 1950's into the 1960's. Never had a problem with this engine. Was a great combo with the original size Flite Streak. Jack
I gather that the OS 15 Diesel was a good engine. Surprisingly I know quite a few people, maybe four or five who actually own one. I have seen one used and it went well.

However it wasn't a great engine, and it was more expensive, heavier, less economical, and marginally less powerful than the Enya 15D. While the Oliver Tiger mk3 was more expensive and harder to get it was just as powerful, lighter and much more economical. At a time when hundreds (and perhaps thousands) of people flew c/l team race, these things were important. Model engine design moved on quickly and AFAIK there never was another baffled diesel.

Adrian Duncan has written an excellent article on the topic and it's available on the MEN site.

Rather than continuing to flog a dead horse about conical pistons can I just point out that the angle of the cone is only about 10-15 degrees at the edge on the engines I have. These are mostly Taipans, Olivers and Rothwells. That's only a very small cone!

Ray.