RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Branaum
If the basis for the fight is valid (and altitude restrictions or compensation issues are not) there may be parties willing to throw money down a black hole, but that would be a heck of a gamble. Please let us know how it works for you.

The entire point that has permeated this thread is the COMPENSATION issue. Almost all authorities at all levels take significantly different views of hobbyists and commercial operations. As has been said countless times in this thread, the general requirements for commercial operations that put people at risk are much more stringent than those for the hobbyist. However what may not have been said and is contributing to your . . confusion is that many times regulations and their enforcement at the commercial level are frequently funded by those in the regulated pool. Before you launch into another one of your rants about commercial interests controlling your ability to start a small business, consider the implications of industry driven regulations with regard to safety.

I expect the FAA to take action and issue strongly enforced regulations for the commercial operator and possibly your state boys do the same for toys. Wouldn't that be neat? Something for everyone!

Before you go off on your name calling rocket again please do some research as there is significant evidence that action of that final nature is on the table for discussion at several state houses under the heading of 'PRIVACY ISSUES'.

Just think, all brought to you in the name of the Constitution!

I have never ever said that commercial operation of drones should be left alone because of commercial operations or that they should operate on the same rules as the hobbiest. As always my beat has been that the Federal government has no authority for operations outside of navigable airspace. In fact in many posts I have said that there should be some rules and restrictions. But the Federal government has no authority and is a poor choice for something that is flown over a very small area and only seen locally. State and local governemts are much better equiped to handle this. As we see now the Federal Government only issues warnings or fines to those who happen to post the video on the Web or TV. So they will never catch other unsafe operations. Except of course the ones John rat on.