RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Nobler
Thread: The Nobler
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 10:48 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, that would make a good looking outline to try for 1/2 A 3D.
My earlier attempts ended up heavier than they should have for true 1/2 A 3D.
Even with installing pull / pull controls and making the tail group so flimsy it needed guy wires made from thread.
So far my best performing 1/2 A 3Ders have been the PBF type jobs made with balsa sticks. I had one that weighed about 8 or 9 ozs with a Babybee on it and even with no throttle it could hover. It didn't really need a rudder, either. The rudder was helpful but the model was very capable with just a pair of elevons banging away.
The bulk of the weight is the engine itself and the on board battery pack[no surprise to anybody]. This is where evaluating the best option is important before gluing the first pieces of wood together.
I think a Norvel Big Mig is the best option, but I'm not sure about the battery or servos. I think the rudder servo has jambed / failed on little 3D attempts more than the other controls. I tried 150 [and under] mah NMH packs and never got my money's worth out of them. It doesn't take much time to drain them, either.
There's one thing I'm fairly certain of, using craft store cellophane covering is pretty hard to beat for weight control. It needs the seams doubled with Scotch clear tape.
I found Hayes 1 oz "header tanks" and figure on using them for projects like this.
Well, gotta get back to the "grind stone" and get out of Bondo Purgatory with a car project that is taking 10 times longer than it should.